Father John Wake, a priest of the Diocese for 43 years, recently entered a new chapter in his life: retirement.
Father Wake was born in 1947 in Jersey City. He attended St. Peter College, Jersey City, and Immaculate Conception Seminary, Darlington, prior to being ordained to the priesthood May 18, 1974, in St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral, Trenton, by Bishop George W. Ahr.
Father Wake was assigned to St. Rose Parish, Belmar, for two years and later served in St. Thomas Parish, Old Bridge. He then took a leave of absence from the Diocese of Trenton, during which time he was chaplain of the Christian Brothers Retreat House, St. Helena, Calif. He also entered the novitiate of the Salvatorians and worked in the Christian Brothers Spiritual Center, Adamstown, Md.
He returned to Trenton in the role of parochial vicar in St. Joan of Arc Parish, Marlton, in 1985. Two years later, Father Wake was assigned to St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Hightstown, as parochial vicar and was also appointed to a two-year term as a priest on the Engaged Encounter team.
On April 22, 1988, Father Wake was named pastor of St. David the King Parish, West Windsor. In August of 1994, he was assigned to St. William the Abbot Parish, Howell, as parochial vicar.
Following assignments as parochial vicar of Epiphany Parish, Brick, and St. Ann Parish, Browns Mills, Father Wake was appointed temporary administrator of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, Maple Shade, Jan. 26, 1999. He was installed as pastor on Sept. 10, 1999, and remained at that assignment until being appointed chaplain of Morris Hall and St. Lawrence Rehabilitation Center, Lawrenceville, on July 2, 2010.
Father Wake’s retirement date became effective July 1.